15ELN15 / 15ELN25
The course objective is to make students of all the branches of Engineering to understand the efficacy of Electronic principles which are pervasive in engineering applications.
Semiconductor Diodes and Applications (Text-1): p-n junction diode, Characteristics and Parameters, Diode approximations, DC load line analysis, Half-wave rectifier, Two-diode Full-wave rectifier, Bridge rectifier, Capacitor filter circuit (only qualitative approch), Zener diode voltage regulators: Regulator circuit with no load, Loaded Regulator. Numerical examples as applicable.
Bipolar Junction Transistors: BJT operation, BJT Voltages and Currents, BJT amplification, Common Base, Common Emitter and Common Collector Characteristics, Numerical examples as applicable.
BJT Biasing (Text-1): DC Load line and Bias Point, Base Bias, Voltage divider Bias, Numerical examples as applicable.
Introduction to Operational Amplifiers (Text-2): Ideal OPAMP, Inverting and Non Inverting OPAMP circuits, OPAMP applications: voltage follower, addition, subtraction, integration, differentiation; Numerical examples as applicable.
Digital Electronics (Text-2): Introduction, Switching and Logic Levels, Digital Waveform (Sections 9.1to 9.3). Number Systems: Decimal Number System, Binary Number System, Converting Decimal to Binary, Hexadecimal Number System: Converting Binary to Hexadecimal, Hexadecimal to Binary, Converting Hexadecimal to Decimal, Converting Decimal to Hexadecimal, Octal Numbers: Binary to Octal Conversion. Complement of Binary Numbers. Boolean Algebra Theorems, De Morgan’s theorem. Digital Circuits: Logic gates, NOT Gate, AND Gate, OR Gate, XOR Gate, NAND Gate, NOR Gate, X-NOR Gate. Algebraic Simplification, NAND and NOR Implementation (Sections 11.7 and 11.8): NAND Implementation, NOR Implementation. Half adder, Full adder.
Flip-Flops (Text-2): Introduction to Flip-Flops (Section 12.1), NAND Gate Latch/ NOR Gate Latch, RS Flip-Flop, Gated Flip-Flops: Clocked RS Flip-Flop (Sections 12.3 to 12.5).
Microcontrollers (Ref.1): Introduction to Microcontrollers, 8051 Microcontroller Architecture and an example of Microcontroller based stepper motor control system (only Block Diagram approach).
Communication Systems (Text-2): Introduction, Elements of Communication Systems, Modulation: Amplitude Modulation, Spectrum Power, AM Detection (Demodulation), Frequency and Phase Modulation. Amplitude and Frequency Modulation: A comparison.
Transducers (Text-2): Introduction, Passive Electrical Transducers, Resistive Transducers, Resistance Thermometers, Thermistor. Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT). Active Electrical Transducers, Piezoelectric Transducer, Photoelectric Transducer.
- After studying this course, students will be able to:
- Appreciate the significance of electronics in different applications,
- Understand the applications of diode in rectifiers, filter circuits and wave shaping,
- Apply the concept of diode in rectifiers, filters circuits
- Design simple circuits like amplifiers (inverting and non inverting), comparators, adders, integrator and differentiator using OPAMPS,
- Compile the different building blocks in digital electronics using logic gates and implement simple logic function using basic universal gates
- Understand the functioning of a communication system, and different modulation technologies
- Understand the basic principles of different types of Transuducers.
1. David A. Bell, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Oxford University
Press, 5th Edition, 2008.
2. D.P. Kothari, I. J. Nagrath, “Basic Electronics”, McGraw Hill
Education (India) Private Limited, 2014.
Muhammad Ali Mazidi, “The 8051 Microcontroller and
Embedded. Systems. Using Assembly and C.” Second Edition, 2011,